Manuscript editing is editing at paragraph and sentence level. It is editing to specifically focus on improving the sound and style as well as grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
Manuscript editing includes both developmental editing (the whole story, character development, and flow of the book) as well as a line edit.
What does this form of editing include?
This form of editing includes a lot of editorial notes and tracked changes within the body of the manuscript.
I work on:
- The readability, language, and paragraph structure
- Clichés, jargon, and redundancies
- Overused words and phrases
- Consistency with quotations
- Rearranging sentences and paragraphs
- Adverb use
- Passive voice
- Confusing sentences
- Over or under describing
- Awkward dialogue
- Run-on sentences
- Repeating the same information in different ways
- Dialogue or paragraphs that can be tightened
- Unclear scene transitions
- Confusing character actions
- Unclear meaning
- Unnatural phrasing
- Parts of the novel that don’t read
- Bland language
- Words or phrases to use instead of… (to clarify or intensify meaning)
- Correcting spelling, grammar, punctuation, and syntax
- Consistency in spelling, hyphenation, numerals, fonts, and capitalization
- Flag ambiguous or factually incorrect statements
- Flag concerns with the plot, setting, and characters
Why choose manuscript editing over other forms of editing?
With manuscript editing, you’re getting the best of both worlds. You receive a line-edit as well as a developmental edit allowing your novel to shape into the best novel it can be.
What is not included in the edit?
This is a stylistic/line edit as well as a developmental-edit. This does not include any proofreading.
COST: $15-$30 per 1,000 words / R150-R300 per 1,000 words (minimum of 10,000 words)
Please read my New Client Guide before booking.
Ready to book? Click here!